Monday, October 26, 2009

The People Who "Protect" You

Are idiots.

There's no other way to put it.

I'll be quite frank. I drive a company truck emblazoned with the logo, web address, and phone number of the company.

I got tired of people jacking around with my registration sticker and plates, so I removed them. That wasn't the only reason. I really got sick of all the phone calls to the company complaining about my driving.

Every time I take delivery of a new vehicle, I just leave the plastic dealer plates on. I keep the state issued license plates locked in the strong box between the seats in the cab.

When I take the truck in for service at the dealer, they put new dealer plates on for me if they start getting ratty or discolored. Free advertising for them, and it keeps some halfway intelligent cop from thinking, "Say, those dealer plates look a little old...."

I've been doing this for over ten years. Never have I had a problem. And the nearly daily phone calls complaining about my driving have stopped.

Now get this:

Stolen Plates Trigger Terrorism Alert

ALBANY, N.Y., Oct. 25 (UPI) -- Thefts of license plates from official security vehicles in Albany, N.Y., have prompted a terrorism alert, a trade publication says.

CrossFire, an industry publication for police, firefighters and other emergency responders, reported there have been "numerous" cases of stolen plates. Unnamed sources told Sunday's New York Post that plates were stolen from state Homeland Security cars in Albany about six weeks ago, and that thieves took the plates from two Bethlehem, N.Y., Police Department vehicles in late August.

The trade journal said the thefts have triggered official notifications to the New York Police Department and state and federal agencies to watch for drivers attempting to get past security checkpoints without proper ID.

The Post said Crossfire speculated the license plates could be useful to terrorists "trying to monitor response activities or to perpetrate a secondary attack with additional explosives."

Uh, folks.

Here's a tip for you.

$2.75 could have prevented this. You could probably have even received a quantity discount.

Anti-theft license plate fasteners.

If you were really serious about preventing the unauthorized removal of the plates, you could have used STEEL blind rivets or speedy rivets. The thieves would have been forced to drill them out.

Heck even Round Head Bolts would have worked. The thieves would have had to open the TRUNK of the vehicle to get at the fastener.

But no, I think we've all got the picture its not about preventing terrorism, its about controlling people and keeping them in fear.

Nice work.

I'm not afraid.

No comments: