Friday, September 11, 2009

Hardwired Key Stroke Loggers In New Laptops?

I flipped out when I read this:

Government And Computer Manufacturers Caught Installing Keystroke Loggers Into All New Laptops

Personally, I haven't bought a laptop in several years. We're supposed to be issued new laptops at work in a couple of months.

You can bet I will be opening mine up to check this out.

I'm very curious if employers are able to access these devices, or if they are aware that they are being factory installed.

If you have recently purchased a laptop, and you are technically inclined to do a partial disassembly, I'm sure many many of us would be very interested in what you find.

The Keyghost keylogger referenced in the article is used in some office environments. Where I have seen them used is primarily where there isn't a dedicated IT staff onsite. You may want to check out your keyboard and see if your office PC is outfitted with one.

Most people don't realize that these things can be used for "personal espionage" as well. Have a fellow employee or supervisor you don't get along with? Afraid you're going to be terminated?

Well, steal everyone's personal IT credentials via a keylogger and create havoc via the wireless connection from outside the building.

I'm not advocating that you do anything illegal. I'm just trying to get you to think outside the box.

Kinda like these guys below:




Courtesy of CBS 3 Philadelphia, PA.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

ok i have to give high five's to the ATM guys! That was one heck of a heist! Took some cajones for sure!

Dragon said...

This is a (Keylogger) hoax, as you surely must know. It’s been on Snopes for years!

The letter from the DHS is copied from another, real letter, exact same reference number.

Nice source checking ;-)

http://www.snopes.com/computer/internet/dellbug.asp

idahobob said...

I am afraid that I am going to have to give these guys two thumbs up for that heist!

Gotta admire well planned out work when you see it.

Bob
III

Catman said...

Hey guys,

Yes the ATM heist is a pretty cool deal.

Dragon, thanks for catching this. I wasn't aware of it being a hoax. I did try and look around for other information concerning this, but didn't see much concerning it.

Perhaps my search parameters were too rigidly defined.

I'm leery of Snopes. I don't know much about the people who run it, and their agenda.

An example:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/immigration/socialsecurity.asp

They classify this as "mostly false". The fact of the matter is the people who votes "yea" did in fact vote to confer benefits onto illegal aliens.

So, that makes it "true" in my book.

In their explanation they try and weasel around wording and Senate procedure in order to seemingly absolve those responsible.